Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Hit the North is dead.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Well… about 3 and a half years ago a two blokes who only knew each other through the Singletrack and On-One forums along with a web designer and an athletics event coordinator decided to stage a bike race. We’ve done 4 now and I think that’s enough.

It’s been a blast.

It’s been hard.

It’s been a pain in the arse.

Here are a few of my memories from yesterday. Please add to them. Mr Sparkle’s video will be up shortly too.

Over and out.

Hit the North is dead.

trail_rat
    Free Member

jolly good effort though chaps ….

only regret is that i didnt make time to experiance them – other commitments.

im sure youve learnt alot along the way and will never look at event organisers in the same light again !

terrahawk
    Free Member

I'm sure that after that last photo nobody will look at event organisers in the same way again.

warton
    Free Member

Only did one, the winter sprinter this year. thoroughly enjoyed it.

11th picture down, guy with the water bottle by the stripy windbreak, that's me, that is. 8)

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Shame, they were fun. I won the first one in pairs and the trophy will be up in my house forever.

Stopped going when the cyclocross bike thing started, but it was certainly a special niche!

hamishthecat

Why have you photoshopped the bikes out of the first picture?

nbt

RIP Hit The North

Although No_discerning_taste (as seen in pic 7 with her little lad Will) was very keen on the idea of helping organise the next one by the time she'd won mixed pairs and got "rather tired and emotional" (pic 23, not quite visible) on the lovely beer from the Troll's Bottom (pic 4)

My pics are being processed now. 136 Done. 191 left to consider in detail…

terrahawk
    Free Member

Why have you photoshopped the bikes out of the first picture?

it was a Le Mans-style run at the start to spread out the field, however we thought we should make it a bit more interesting by making it twice as long as advertised and by sending everyone down a slippery bank, through a muddy stream then up a stupidly steep muddy hill.

I think everyone loved that bit.

mocha
    Free Member

Good effort lads.

Was fun.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

nbt- can't see the photos (internet is too slow!) so I can't tell if p. 23 can be describes as "tired and emotional" but I never make false promises and I wasn't too tired to remember what I've promised and the offer is still there. I'm more than happy to help organise another event and if more people had helped in the past maybe terrahawk and harry-the-spider would consider doing another one, because there sure is an awful lot of work to do!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"You haven't lived until you've almost died"

I like that.

bakey

Managed 3 from 4, loved them all.

Many thanks for all your efforts

RIP Hit the North

minnellium
    Free Member

Bowing out at the top. Nice. Respectful.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

This was the first one ive been semi-fit for, the others ive been completely broken, loved it, thought id hate riding longer than ive ever ridden on an MTB but i didnt, even though i only did 7 laps in 5hr 25 mins, at least i got one event in, Thanks to the Organisers, shame it was the last one……

budge

RIP HTN

Even tho I expected this would be the last one it is still sad news.

All three I have done have been seriously cool events with a personality that no other event gets even close to matching – particularly if you're northern and like indie music, beer and bikes.

The company that imports your mud especially for the July events must be really gutted – who else will want several hundred tonnes of highly abrasive, fast setting mud at that time of year? If you find out let me know – I will miss the unseasonal mud!

Huge thanks to all of you for the enormous amount of effort you put into making sure that everyone who took part had a giggle, a real challenge and the odd serious fright.

Top effort boys!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

minnellium – Member
    Bowing out at the top. Nice. Respectful.

Seconded, you guys did great

ton

well done fella's.
    8)

sc-xc

Well done guys….but I bet you'll be back 😉

and..

MrSparkle

Bit harsh on Michael…

terrahawk
    Free Member

he's never been the same since he lost his thumb

allthepies
    Free Member

Nice to see Shrek made it 🙂 (pic 8 with Derek Starship)

RustySpanner

Oi!, I resemble that remark……cheeky sod. 😀

Superb event, as usual.
    If it has to be the last one, at least it was the best.

You should be very proud of yourselves chaps (apart from your dancing Jason, obviously).

Rusty Spanner – Glad you were ok after the tumble by the stream crossing! (very cruel of your wife to make you crash like that!)

nbt

Pics are processed! 283 in total, resized to fit in a 640 * 480 screen, perfect for facebook and so on. That means the pics are 321*480px (portait format, 640*427 for the landscape format ones). That still give me 60Mb worth of small images! The "full size" folder is 1.2 gb!

Once I've got them into some kind of online gallery I'll post a link. I'll be able to send out full resolution images (2048*3072, should print fine at A4 size) but will ask people to make a donation to Petesgaff : http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/06/mark-fradgleys-bullheart-jogle/

I'm not going to ask for receipts or anything, just going to leave it to your conscience to donate what you feel the pics (and the participation in the event) are worth, especially given the fact that Mark's efforts are worthy of sponsorship in any case!

More to follow when I have found a suitable home for the images!

RustySpanner

Thank your mate for the Ibruprofen, worked a treat.

Knee is the size of, err, a much larger knee today, but seems to be fine 😀
    According to Sue I managed to wedge my knee between the grip and the brake lever 😯

EDIT: She's just reminded me that it wasn't her who lost concentration, crashed on a perfectly straight bit of track and screamed like a girl.
    I maintain it is her fault for expecting me to think, speak and ride a bike at the same time.

Harry_the_Spider

Just because HTN is dead doesn't mean that we shouldn't get together for a ride every now and again. The best thing for me to come out of this has been meeting good people and I don't want to let that go.

terrahawk
    Free Member

we can still do our Tuesday 'cross rides 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Aw sh1t. I've got a spec of dust in my eye… it must be dust.

Somebody else should organise a race round here so that me and Terra can actually enter it rather than stand about watching in our high viz vests.

terrahawk
    Free Member

stand around watching? I did 3 laps in my high viz yesterday.

Sweating like a Bangkok money lender I was.

Harry_the_Spider

I read that as a monkey lender. 😯

nbt

Pics are up fellas

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/htn-pictures-thread

Can you add a link on the HTN site pretty please?

I'm off to drink some of that free beer from that nice man in the beer tent 🙂

Bunnyhop

Blubbering here like a small child.

The event was great. All our friends just had the best time.

A chance to catch up with people who are all living in other parts of our country. Everyone said how much they enjoyed the course and how friendly everyone is.

Where else could you get 4 seasons in one day?

Bunnyhop x

edhornby

HTN are the only races I've ever done on a bike, and I'm sad to think that this is the end of them.

but what a finale

excellent course, weather, people, beer. just great times.

If I see you in the pub again I will buy you beer again

terrahawk
    Free Member

you only live up the road Ed – we should get together for a ride more often.

miketually
    Free Member

Top work chaps.

You've broken my arse.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

Bloody good event. Bloody sad news.

But I understand and I thank you so much for HTN 1.5 and 2.0 they nearly killed me at times, but it was worth it.

miketually
    Free Member

Just because HTN is dead doesn't mean that we shouldn't get together for a ride every now and again. The best thing for me to come out of this has been meeting good people and I don't want to let that go.

Seconded.

trio25
    Free Member

Such a shame, but they have been great events. maybe this means next July will be sunny?

Ali has just pointed out she will always be reigning champion now 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Hit the North is dead.’ is closed to new replies.