Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope ProII hubs and Maxle lite – Fitting Problems?
  • stupot
    Free Member

Just about to buy some new Revelations with a Maxle lite, I will be running these with a Hope ProII hub. However I have noticed a few old threads on problems with wheel play, with no apparnet solution!

How common is this problem, anybody experienced it? Anybody had this problem and found a solution?

Kahurangi

Ooh, what are these problems exactly?

Mine are fine (Revs w/maxle thingy & Pro 2's). Screw in the bolt, once you've adjusted the proload nut you don't need to fiddle with it, and bolt over to fix.

carlphillips
    Free Member

mine wont tighten up proper on the hub resulting in play.its **** annoying.
    thought it was my bearings that kept on going but contacted hope who reckon its a very common problem with the maxle arrangement, with mine its like i need another 1/2 turn/thread in the lowers

its a bit sh t really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It happens but is generally cured by tightening the wedges on the maxle or ensuring the bearings are seated properly

Fat mother – you tried both> before you flip the QR on the maxle tighten the nut on the non qr end as tight as you can – that should remove the endfloat

carlphillips
    Free Member

TJ, yup tried all that, its all as tight as it can go but still have lateral play in the wheel. like i said before its as though the lower could do with an extra 1/2 a thread to nip up the slack. doesnt happen on my pikes, or with my maxle lite in my pikes therefore i can conclude its the lowers not the maxle.

stupot
    Free Member

Fat mother, Ive been told about the exact problem that your experiencing. The only cure ive been told of is changing bearings in the hub which (only!)sometimes solves the problem. Seems to be a tolernace issue between the two companys.

Maybe I should just get the standard dropout type? How much stiffer are the forks with a maxle? (assuming the wheel tightens)

carlphillips
    Free Member

maxle is worth it definitely..

oh and 4 sets of bearings havent solved the problem, i just ignore it now

BadlyWiredDog

Changing bearings to SKF worked for me. Quick and easy job. Happy.

carlphillips
    Free Member

tried them also… 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it excessive end flat you are getting fatmutha? IE when you flip the lever it is not tensioning the maxle and thus pinching all the bearings and spacers between the fork lowers?

Try a spacer / washer under the head of the maxle on the outside of teh fork leg.

Flipping the maxle lever should put the maxle in tension and the bearings, end caps and central spacer in compression.

singlespeedstu

Just to piss on TJ's thinking a bit.

It also happens with a solid 20mm bolt through axle.

I found Enduro Max bearings solved the problem for me.

kempfab
    Free Member

I have the same problem.
    The maxle on my Pikes measures 19.8mm, on my Rebas 19.9mm, neither really suited to a 20mm diameter ID bearing…
    19.97/19.98 would be more helpful.
    But hey, it's only a bike! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ex

If its happening with a solid bolt up axle something is badly wrong – are you taking the endfloat out? ei tighten one pinch bolt. then the axle bolt then the other pinch bolt.

I simply cannot see how that can happen unless the bearings are shot – two different types of play – bearing play and endfloat.

I'd love to get a set that someone is having trouble with to see why. I did get this but the taper wedge in the maxle was seized. Freeing it up solved the issue I cannot see how it can happen with a bolt up unless it is incorrectly installed

Kenny – if its all pinched up correctly that is not greatly important – the tension on the axle against the compression of the end caps, inner bearing races and central spacers will hold it all steady.

singlespeedstu

I happened on a brand new fork with a brand new hub.

Hope sent me some more bearings. That didn't help.

The Enduro Max did….

Incorrectly installed. Pull the other one…..

retro83
    Free Member

New bearings carefully fitted fixed it here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ex – two separate issues getting mixed up hear – bearing wobble from loose / faulty bearings and poor fitting from maxles – thats why the confusion. Hope had a bad batch of bearings but that is not the issue fat motha has – which is excessive endflat – which is what i don't see how it can happen with a bolt up axle as with teh bolt up there is far more scope to remove endfloat

We are slightly at cross purposes

br
    Free Member

No problem with my Reba maxle (nor Fox 36 axle) and three different Hope Pro 2 'hubbed' wheels for me.

Have you tried re-seating the bearings in the wheels? I did buy one off flea-bay, and the bearing was about 1/16 'out'… The Hope kit works really well for this.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I pretty much eliminated the problem by stripping my maxle (not a lite one) and thouroughly greasing all the moving/ expanding parts – then doing up the qr nut as tight as I can

a very small amount of play still when I wobble the wheel – buts its inperceptible when riding and still feels much stiffer than a normal QR

I_Ache
    Free Member

If the Maxle isnt screwing all the way in as FMH suggests then would a washer or two take up the slack allowing the QR bit to do its job properly?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope ProII hubs and Maxle lite – Fitting Problems?’ is closed to new replies.