Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • I am NEVER riding in weather like that again..
  • RealMan
    Free Member

..Until next time anyway.

Fair weather cyclists of a nervous disposition should stop reading now.

Why does anyone go out and ride in that sort of weather? We only did 2 hours, 35 miles or something, so it probably hasn’t given my fitness a huge boost or anything. The bikes pretty filthy, so are my clothes. I was freezing and soaked. Did I enjoy it though? I don’t know. I do know I was feeling pretty ill but decided to go out anyway, and now I feel better (after about 40 minutes in the shower trying to regain feeling in my feet).

Do you enjoy riding in horrible weather? Or maybe its just that we enjoy riding so much, we enjoy riding despite the horrible weather.

Either way, the rules are righteous.

Rule 9:

If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

I’m going to buy a load of waterproof socks and gloves, and maybe some mudguards. Then I’m going to bed I think.

Might be able to fit a ride in tomorrow actually..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is no such thing as bad weather – only the wrong clothes

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m kind of lucky as we don’t suffer from much crap weather here, so I can choose to stay in and not lose too much time. A couple of weeks ago, though, I did go out with the threat of rain. At about 1,800m it was lashing it down and blowing a hoolie, so much wind that I cut short the last couple of hundred metres due to safety. Cold and wet, yet with more determination than anything to keep going. It was ace.

Getting wet mid ride isn’t a problem, stepping out from a warm house is. 😆

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah but the right clothes don’t actually exist. For example, I am yet to find a pair of thin, comfortable, completely waterproof, very warm (but still breathable) gloves.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ll just get my anti-wind jacket then. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aldi winter gloves – not waterproof but retain warmth even when wet. Other similar gloves are available.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I will not intentionally go out in the rain but then I’ve fitted fenders to my roadbike and the mtb -well I don’t have time to clean all that mud off after every ride!

RealMan next week:

Try the Endura Stealth range pretty water proof.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

There is such a thing, however, as unenjoyable weather.

For me, so long as I tailor my routes to suit the weather it’s not an issue. Boggy, slow trails are no fun.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

Just got back from a 4 hour ride in the rain over the moors. Never meet another mtber and my head is now a happy little place once again 8) You just have to do it and it will be proper winter soon Yipheeeeeee !!!!

crikey
    Free Member

Was just moaning to Mrs crikey, I’ve been riding bikes for over 20 years now and have never ever ever found a good pair of overshoes.
    I’ve had every kind under the sun, but always come home with wet feet.

Militant_biker

There is something about going out when it’s freezing and raining, as long as you know you can get warm and dry safely afterwards. 🙂

Del

gore goretex socks FTW.

RealMan
    Free Member

Was just moaning to Mrs crikey, I’ve been riding bikes for over 20 years now and have never ever ever found a good pair of overshoes.
    I’ve had every kind under the sun, but always come home with wet feet

Same here. I think its time for me to get some decent waterproof socks, some thermal socks underneath, winter boots, then overshoes. Then something over the cuff so water doesn’t get in through the top. Then they might stay dry and warm. I doubt it though, and it will take me about 4 hours to put my shoes on with all that.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve had every kind under the sun, but always come home with wet feet.

Get the right tool for the job. 😉

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I usually enjoy winter riding as there’s less people about in my way, I use plenty of layers combined with all the various waterproofs from skull cap on my head right down to overshoes/socks.

I feel cosy so enjoy it, I do agree with this quote below though.

RealMan – Member
    Yeah but the right clothes don’t actually exist. For example, I am yet to find a pair of thin, comfortable, completely waterproof, very warm (but still breathable) gloves.q

Same as with the socks, even sealskinz gloves don’t seem to give full and proper protection from long periods of rain, I usually take a spare pair with me and might even buy a third pair for this year, no space left in my backpack then lol.

On the subject of sealskinz gloves, anyone tried these?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/SealSkinz_Extra_Cold_Weather_Cycling_Glove/5360052510/
    If so, how good are they at stopping the wet?

RealMan
    Free Member

Haven’t tried them MM, but they do look good. Still a bit too bulky perhaps.

Also, my OP was about road riding, maybe didn’t make that clear. I never really have the same problem mountain biking, maybe its because there’s a lot more upper body movement involved. On the road bike you just get so cold and wet.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Haven’t tried them MM, but they do look good. Still a bit too bulky perhaps.

Also, my OP was about road riding, maybe didn’t make that clear. I never really have the same problem mountain biking, maybe its because there’s a lot more upper body movement involved. On the road bike you just get so cold and wet.

Sorry, I had no idea you were a roadie nowadays, I guess that limits what you can take with you as I’ve never seen a roadie with a ridiculously oversized backpack like I use. 😆

Guess you’re gonna need a turbo trainer for winter then. 😛

ourkidsam
    Free Member

2 hours, 35 miles

This a road ride? edit: I see it is!. Not in any weather, no 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Sorry, I had no idea you were a roadie nowadays

I do both..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crud_RoadRacer_Mk2_Mudguard_Set/5360052637/

One thing off my list. Now to look for a magic pair of gloves and socks. And overshoes.

Also, is there any such thing as waterproof bib tights? I’ve got some nice endura/altura ones I think that are really quite warm and very comfortable, but they do soak up water and get pretty heavy. It’s not a massive thing, they don’t get cold, but it would be nice if they stayed dry.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t really enjoy riding in shit weather. Light rain is fine but anything heavy and I just get annoyed. I also hate headwinds, just been out on the road bike riding into headwinds for pretty much the entire ride. Didn’t enjoy it at all.

mtb in the rain, snow etc is ok, but road is just shit.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’d much rather be on the MTB when it’s cold and wet but I have had some great road rides in warm rain!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i don’t mind being cold, but being wet and cold sucks.

i’ve been caught out too many time in god-awful weather, with several exposed hill tops between me and my sofa, to see any enjoyment in ‘just being out there’.

i’m buggered if i’m spending hundreds of pounds on ‘the right clothes’ which i’ll only use about 5 times a year.

there’s no such thing as being tough – or if there is, it’s the same thing as being stupid.

it’ll be lovely tomorrow – perfect for a ride!

RealMan
    Free Member

i don’t mind being cold, but being wet and cold sucks.

Yeah, frosty clear mornings where your breath condenses in front of you are great for riding.

Just got off the phone with my dad, his opinion on why anyone rides in horrible weather is so they can appreciate the summer more… 😀

allthepies
    Free Member

I had quite a hoot riding offroad this morning, a bit of rain and huuge puddles 🙂

LoveTubs
    Free Member

While we’re all handing out advice on cloths I thought I’d chip in. I may have posted this rant-esque up before, apple-o-gies if it looks familiar.
    I received ‘a degree’ of slamming for suggesting that Assos gear is worth the money; I’ve always been the ‘You get what you pay for’ type of guy. That said, some of the top end stuff is silly price; if you’re patient, and wait for the sales (thinking ahead pays) then savings are out there.

So, I picked myself up (after STW beating) and embraced the Aldi rush for jackets and merino. I actually made a specific journey to Aldi, which was a first.

UTTER SH!TE!

Sub standard cut, poor quality materials, finish poor/dull/cheap & the most important aspect – looked p!ss poor 😛
    I simply don’t understand the popularity? Granted, not all of my purchases have stood up to the hype, but I can count them on one hand. That, over a (dare I admit) 20 years can’t be bad?

I remain stalwart in my decision to not buy cycling gear from a grocery store.

Thank you and goodnight.

Caveat: Skint atm :mrgreen:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

i’m buggered if i’m spending hundreds of pounds on ‘the right clothes’ which i’ll only use about 5 times a year.

Not necessary at all to spend hundreds.

Love tubs – some aldi stuff is great, some is shite.

RealMan
    Free Member

Not necessary at all to spend hundreds.

Well yeah it sort of is. The jacket I rode in today was £80, and that’s just a specialized one, not assos or rapha or anything. Its very good though, but I could’ve used something waterproof over the top.

Bib tights are about £80 as well.

Good pair of winter shoes are gonna be around £100.

So £260, without including things like socks and gloves and hats and buffs and waterproofs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sub standard cut, poor quality materials, finish poor/dull/cheap & the most important aspect – looked p!ss poor

You are gok and I calim my £5
    You are trying to look good in Lycra WHY oh WHY?
    I rate aldi stuff except the trousers. ride in all weather last bad ride I got removed from the supermarket as there were pools of water where I jhad walked!! Not nice when it is really cold.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Real man 0- sorry squire – you simply don’t need to spend that sort of money to be warm dry and comfy. You need to be a bit canny and to not care what the fashion police say.

I ride all year round. I don’t spend many hundreds on my kit. I very rarely get cold and wet.

RealMan
    Free Member

What do you wear then…?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends. I have aldi winter trousers – work fine for me. Also use cheap joggers.

I have a aldi softshell and an expensive one – the only expensive kit I have – and various cheap cycling shirts. I also use ordinary clothes. t shirts, pure wool jumpers from t k maxx. If its raining I wear a basic non breathable waterproof.

Gloves – I have a variety but non were expensive. Cheapo thinsulate hiking gloves are warm when wet. Shoes – again a variety but all cheap – holes blocked up with gaffa tape on the inside for winter use.

Cheap fleeces from tk maxx. Builders oilskins for cheap waterproofs. ( leave open at the neck, wrists and ankle for ventilation and don’t wear too much underneath and you don’t get too wet from sweat or rain.

Bascially keep your body core warm and dry and the rest will be fine.

I was fine soling strathpuffer in this kit.

RealMan
    Free Member

Bascially keep your body core warm and dry and the rest will be fine.

Now THAT is total rubbish.

Hands and feet are the most important. Your body tends to keep itself quite warm.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

realman – if your body core is warm you have plenty of warm blood to keep your feet and hands warm – they won’t shut down. circulation to your hands and feet shuts down if your core tempt drops. If your core temp is up peripheral blood vessels dilate to get rid of heat.

It does help you have some natural insulation tho as I do.

RealMan
    Free Member

It does help you have some natural insulation tho as I do.

Probably, although I will have to take your word on that.

No matter how warm I am up top, hands and feet still get cold.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

” We only did 2 hours, 35 miles or something, so it probably hasn’t given my fitness a huge boost or anything”

😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ruddy cold that day. All cheapo kit

TJ looking heroic by paul.newman4279, on Flickr

Junkyard
    Free Member

tjs is right core temp is critical the extremities may be uncomfortable but it wont kill you now MTFU , eat some pies , develop a true MTB physique and stop complaining 😉
    Well wear bigger gloves and socksa for you feet ar eyou asking what to do when it is cold i wear mor eclothes it seems to work generally. TBH a trade off between heat and breathability you will always have some moisture issue IME

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Rained heavy here, sunshine now -perfect for roadbike with fenders 😉

The mountain bike is being jailed for winter now 😀

nickc

Sometimes riding in shite weather isn’t worth the hassle. I do this for fun, when it stops being fun, I don’t do it anymore.

RealMan
    Free Member

You didn’t even splash out to get yourself a pair of proper handlebars!

And you can’t ride on a road bike in that gear. Too much to get caught in the bike, too much to flap about, and are they joggers? They’d soak up sweat and water no end.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘I am NEVER riding in weather like that again..’ is closed to new replies.