Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Noooo Bike frame`s busted
  • trout
    Free Member

Been away for a riding weekend did the walna scar fantastic
    then up to Dumfries for a couple of trail centres we had a great time but discovered this on saturday half way round kiroughtree when the monsoon hit on sat afternoon .

still rode it today at mabie and it held together just
    I had plenty of seatpost inside so I hope the bike shop doesnt try the to short post comment .

Bike a pace 303 bought in 2008 am i right in thinking this has happened to a few of these frames

khani
    Free Member

is it still under warranty?

tthew

Only 2 years old, pretty short warrantee for a frame if not.

trout
    Free Member

I hope so but cant remember what their warranty is and just looked on their website but found nothing yet about warranties

househusband

Pace? You're not the first person that's happened to; think the same thing happened to ChrisL – not 100% sure if it was the same place.

brant
    Free Member

yhm

Mackem

303s are made of cheese.

khani
    Free Member

take the seatpost with you, you can see the mark where its inserted to normaly
    and if they try it on, threaten to insert it to its mark into them

firestarter
    Free Member

my mates broke there and pace **** him off he had it welded and reamed at a local place

trout
    Free Member

That sounds terrible Firestarter how old was it and what was their comments be nice to have some ammo for the coming scrap .

Talkemada
    Free Member

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Made me chuckle.

My condolences to the OP tho.

firestarter
    Free Member

i wont see him til thurs as hes away but i will ask for details mate

atlaz
    Free Member

Don't use those pics as evidence as in the first one you can see the bottom of the post through the crack 😀

Edric64
    Free Member

In your 2nd pic you can see the writing which is well below the limit line or have you moved it?

willsimmons
    Free Member

Always struck me that there was a reason they stuck that dirty welded brace between seat-tube and top tube…. Not for aesthetics that's for sure!

trout
    Free Member

Nope no scullduggery the frame is a 17 inch I am 5ft 10 with 31 inch inside leg the seat post is 15.5 inches long with 7 inches in the frame .

bought in 2008 and did about 1000 miles including a trip to the black forest for a weeks riding
    last year I bet I did not do 300 miles total
    and this year so far abour 200 miles of which this weekend has been the roughest use this year .

will be down the bike shop tomorrow but my main problem is going away to Germany in 8 weeks for a riding hol and no bike to get a bit fitter on
    so hoping for a quick resolution .

smudge
    Free Member

Best join a spinning class for a few weeks 😉

Keep us updated on how you get on tomorrow.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Clearly cracked above the weld/at the edge of the weld – that's the HAZ not well controlled/treated. Should be a warranty issue IMO.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Hope you get this sorted.
    My bike must be an impending disaster (3 year old 303, with an I-beam post and carbon bars)
    but seriously, I think they ride beautifully, but 2 years normal riding out of a frame that costs the best part of £600? That's not good.

trout
    Free Member

thanks Smudge for that usefull suggestion 😕

all stripped and going to the LBS this morning

Cheers Swift am hoping for a good outcome

stoney
    Free Member

Ooooo, sorry to hear that Trout…. 😥

Ive just sold my 305 that was a ss.

Real shame as well cause it was a hoot out on the trails. Not cause there was an issues with it, i just could`nt have 2 bikes doing similar things.
    Also need the cash to build a new darkside tt bike.

My mate Phil had a 305 and his cracked round there as well. He is now waiting for the new version 325.5…..

When they finally get to retail at least. 😐

Spud

Sorry to hear about the frame Trout. Slightly off-topic but where in Germany are you riding?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Clubber had one that went like that, utter bobbins.

trout
    Free Member

Are pace replacing your mates frame with no fuss Stoney ?

just back in from the bike shop first question was how much seatpost did you have in the frame .

I suppose it is now a wait and see thing

Spud we are staying at a mates house south of stuttgard
    he will be showing us round the Pfaltz and black forest I think plus his local stuff.

eddyesi
    Free Member

My RC303 has just cracked in exactly the same place, but mines a 2ndhand one so likely no warrantly, even if Pace would honour it.

Nice to see i am not the only one at least, but no consolation, will have to try the welding route for now.

Gotta save up for a carbon 456 me thinks!

trout
    Free Member

Having just had an email from my LBS it would appear Pace say the 303 had a 2 year warranty so is a year out of warranty now I cant find out if this is correct as I have no paperwork .it is lost.

they have offered me a current frame but I need to send them £405 for the replacement .

any of you RC 303 owners got details of the so called warranty on them .

wwaswas

"I need to send them £405 for the replacement"

that's about 80% of the new cost isn't it?

tinsy
    Free Member

Trout, my mate broke 2 of those in the exact same place…

simonb512
    Free Member

I blame the mudguard 😛

ChrisL

As househusband said, that happened to my large RC303 frame. The crack was in pretty much the same place:

I got mine replaced under warranty but it was less than 2 years old. You could always try talking to Pace directly though, in case they take pity on you…

PikeBN14
    Free Member

I'd talk to a solicitor with the evidence you have off here!

Not fit for purpose and all that ….. ?

trout
    Free Member

Thanks for the pic ChrisL very similar.

Have emailed pace will try the phone tomorrow

theflatboy
    Free Member

if i wasn't in the middle of my exams i'd write you a nice email back pointing out the requirement for durability of goods under s14 of the sale of goods act 1979. but i am, so i don't really have time.

i suggest you look it up and quote that at them til they sort it out – 2 years is not long enough for something like that to last, the warranty is irrelevant and you don't even need an independent check as it's clearly defective.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If there is a history of these frames breaking in that place then you are looking for redress under sale of goods act not warrenty. You have to be able to show that it was a manufacturing fault – so a metallurgist / engineers report plus evidence of other frames breaking inthe sdame place that were replaced.

You have up to six years under SOGA to bring a claim of not fit for purpose.

I'd collect the evidence – present it to them, if they say no just do the small claims court thing it won't be worth their while defending it

auricgoldfinger

Interesting to read this. My 303 cracked in exactly the same place as well a couple of years ago. Was within warranty period and they did replace it without too much fuss(had to send them the seat post too to 'prove' I had been inserting it far enough).

trout
    Free Member

Cheers for the feed back it all helps .

the good news is I now have a bike to ride Thanks to Brant 😀 helping me out with a frame real fast .

It rides like a dream too
    Built it up on sat morning at 05.30 and was chucking it around the mendips by lunch time

Jamie
    Free Member

So out of interest thats like 6 303's cracked just in this thread? Damn!

WackoAK
    Free Member

The Ragley looks great, is that a 16" frame?

tron
    Free Member

Ha! Smart move by Brant 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Noooo Bike frame`s busted’ is closed to new replies.