Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tapered Forks in 1 1/8 Head tube?
  • Moonhead
    Free Member

Seen some bargin forks on the Jejames website. Thing is they have a tapered steerer (1.5″ Crown Race).

My question, is there a way of fitting these onto a bike that does not have a tapered head tube? (2010 Orange 5)

Anyone know if this possible? Or is this a case of square peg round hole?!

Cheers!

dan1980
    Free Member

Am I being thick here….
    The orange 5 has a tapered steerer does it not? The forks have TS after them, and according to the spec it has a cane creek tapered headset….

But to answer answer your question, if you have a 1.5 headtube, you can fit a tapered fork into it, with the right headset.

Edited because I’m thick

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

no you can’t, I think dan’s got the 2010 and 2011 bikes confused.

dan1980
    Free Member

Oops 😳

But it’s still 2010! I’m easily confused this time of day….

Moonhead
    Free Member

The new 2011 orange 5 has a tapered 1.5 headtube.

The 2010 has a standard size, non tapered headtube, I’m just trying to figure out if there is a way to get 1.5 tapered forks in there…..

Not looking possible tho 😐

T1000
    Free Member

Clearly I know nothing about headtube sizes on Oranges of any year…. so

I agree with Dan1980 if the frame has a 1.5 head then you just need the correct headset…

or if it has a 1 1/8 to 1.5 taper headtube likewise you’ll need the correct headset.

or if it’s a 1 1/8 zero stack then it’s possible to fit a tapered fork using a cane creek 44 XX traditional lower headset assembly (don’t believe they fitted zero stacks to Orange fives…..)

Cane creek have a very useful ‘what fork + what frame + what headset do I need guide……

Moonhead
    Free Member

Cheers guys..

MrNutt
    Free Member

erm, no I don’t think so

Driller
    Free Member

If you have a 2010 Five it will have a conventional 1 1/8″ head tube. You can get a headset with an oversized bottom bearing to fit a tapered steerer but it will look like a dog’s dinner and add a considerable amount to your stack height.

Best avoided.

richc
    Free Member

has anyone seen the Cane creek traditional headset for sale anywhere?

Moonhead
    Free Member

Cheers Driller, I’ll give this one a wide berth.

@ richc in my research on this topic today I too found myself looking for the Cane creek traditional headset. Could not find it anywhere, only press releases. Not on their website either as far as I could tell.

devs
    Free Member

Aye it’ll fit fine. Just hit it hard till it wedges in. Steering may be stiff but that’s good cos they can be a bit twitchy with the steep head angle innit. You might not get as much steerer above as you thought and there may be more fork showing under the head tube but this looks rad and cool. Right, I’m just off to drill out my Deore QR hub to get my 20mm maxle to fit. Looking forward to the extra stiffness!

T1000
    Free Member

Cane creek trad 44 will be avaiable from uk importer end nov

looks just like any other traditional headset + the additional stack height maybe useful if you want to slacken the head angle

MrNutt
    Free Member

the Cane creek trad 44 is indeed witchcraft!! 😀

looks good though 🙂 I wonder if the frames would be able to take the increased stiffness given that most manufacturers seem to have opted for the flared head tube, do you think thats down to strength or commonality of parts?

hmm….

T1000
    Free Member

for the more cautious….. Brant say’s that the Nukeproof 44 trad headset has a 20mm insert depth

dhrider
    Free Member

Even with a 44mm semi integrated headtube you are going to need at least 20mm for the headset to press in to.

Basically if your frame has not been designed for this type of headset it more than likely wont fit without some mods which will weaken it or the frame.

sebberoo
    Free Member

I have a Cane Creek EC44 bottom assembly (supersedes the XX 44) for sale if anyone is looking for one?
    This is the part that Cane Creek have produced to enable people to fit a 1.5″ steerer to many 1 1/8″ headtubes (zero stack/semi integrated only as far as I know).
    Email me if you have any questions or want a pic of the item.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

dremel…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tapered Forks in 1 1/8 Head tube?’ is closed to new replies.