Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Time atac servicing and spares
  • RichT

Lots of my time atacs have play in them now. I know how to take them apart for greasing etc, but can I get spare bushings etc to remove the play? If so, where from?

Thanks

z1ppy

replacement bearing from any bearing supplier for penny's, I've never actually replaced my bushing but UKbikestore apparently stock them.

(whilst still on the bike) Take the end cap off, undo the nut on the end of the axle, pull the body of the axle (why you left it on the bike, as it's a lot easier). Knock out the bearings and bushing pop in the replaceement units and bolt it all back together.
    Easy.

RichT

Thanks z1ppy. Is the play likely to be in the bearings or bushings?

z1ppy

I'd suggest bearings, I have two pair of freerideZ's, I've had for years and have only ever replaced the bearings.
    Mainly because I couldn't ever find any bushing for them, now i know I may replacement them next time I do the bearings (though I can't find them on UKbikestore now I check again).

RichT

Thanks, I do the bearings first.

Frankers
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member

replacement bearing from any bearing supplier for penny's,

You will find that the Atac bearing in your pedals are made from Stainless steel, whereas standard bearings are carbon steel. Stainless bearing will last a long time (like the originals)

I bought some stainless steel bearings from Simply bearings for around £10each

The details are 6x15x5mm ZZ stainless steel double metal shielded.

Also be careful when installing new bearing and tightening nyloc nut, i have broken an axle by overtightening 😥

z1ppy

Frankers i wouldn't disagree, but honestly for the price of the bearings (decent make, not chinese rubbish) what I saved more than made up for the 'shorter' life. It's swings and roundabout eh?

Andy

Does anyone know if the

The details are 6x15x5mm ZZ stainless steel double metal shielded.

can aslo be used on the Atac XS and XE models?

And also where to find replacement bushings for XS and XE models please?

I too have 2-3 pairs that are wobbling a fair bit and so far my Google Fu has failed to find a solution.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Edinburgh Bike Co Op will order the bushings for you but I subseqently found a cheaper OEM source for them. Can dig around for it if you like

z1ppy

HB if you wouldn't mind, please.

Andy

Oooh yes please too!

Ambrose

And me too please

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Fill yer boots:

http://www.igus.co.uk/iPro/iPro_02_0004_0000_GBen.htm?c=GB&l=en

*Caveat*

I didn't order from here and you'll have to check the dims with a calliper as I chucked mine away. However, this line seemed to fit the performance spec and they def have the size required. IIRC they also have shock eyelet bush sizing in Imperial.

Looking at the pricing I reckon BETD et al are probably making somewhere in the order of 1000% mark up for the quants they'd be buying. Nice work if you can get it…

igm

I've never needed new bearings for ATACs as they seem to last forever, but seeing as you guys found them I'll just squirrel this knowledge away just in case.

Thanks

Ambrose

I've just snugged down my bearing covers (the things with 6 holes in) and lo and behold- no more wobble.

Ambrose

And then last weekend my pedals siezed up 🙁

So I'm about to order in some bearings and bushings.

For Atak Carbon XS and Z Control models the bearings are as listed above , 6x15x5mm ZZ stainless steel double metal shielded. A friend sourced these for me, FoC 🙂

For Atak Carbon XS the bushings are Iglidur product number JSM1014-16, ie a 10mm shaft, through a 16 mm long (14 mm overall diam) bushing. Cost = 3.57 each. Plus £6:00 p+p.
    http://www.igus.co.uk/iPro/iPro_02_0017_0000_GBen.htm?ArtNr=jsm-1014-16&c=GB&l=en

For Z Control the bushings are Iglidur product number JSM1012-15, ie a 10mm shaft, through a 15 mm long (12 mm overall diam) bushing. Cost = 3.42 each. Again, plus £6:00 p+p.
    http://www.igus.co.uk/iPro/iPro_02_0017_0000_GBen.htm?ArtNr=jsm-1014-16&c=GB&l=en

Hope that this helps.

z1ppy

nice bit of info there Ambrose, cheers.

uplink
    Free Member

It may be worth trying a different type of bush given that cost?

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p120309/AM1014-16+Oilite+Plain+Bush+10x14x16mm/product_info.html

Ambrose

Oooh- ta for that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Time atac servicing and spares’ is closed to new replies.