Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • An idea to stop water getting into the top of winter cycling shoes?
  • monkeyp

OK – so I have a pair of Specialized Defrosters which I have found to be just great, however, there is an issue with all waterproof cycling shoes. If it’s raining significantly, and you are wearing tights, the water soaks into the tights, wickes down your socks and straight into the shoes.

As far as I can find, the only solution available is long waterproof trousers which overlap the tops of the shoes. I hate waterproof trousers as they tend to be baggy and also not long enough and need stirrups to keep them in place which none seem to have (feel free to point me in the direction of some that satisfy all of these).

So, this is my idea – what I need is a piece of waterproof stretchy fabric which bridges the gap between the shoe and the tights. It must overlap the top of the shoe and then sit UNDER the bottom of the tights – like a kind of gaiter. This will then seperate the wet tights from my socks stopping the wicking effect.

Does such a thing exist?

If not then I may pop down to Decathlon to buy a cheap wetsuit and cut the bottom of the legs off! I know neoprene isn’t waterproof, but it’s a start.

Any better ideas?

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought of something similar not that long ago. I reckon some latex gloves with the fingers cut off might do it?

Or dry suit cuffs?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Waterproof trousers work for fantastically. 😀

jordie
    Free Member

Some Sparkies tape works just fine

votchy
    Free Member

Waterproof socks UNDER tights, don’t wear tights myself but never had a problem with water getting inside Goretex socks, coupled with Shimano winter boots feet stay dry due to the goretex socks and warm due to the winter boots.

Sam

I tried the dry suit cuffs, far too tight, and taper too quickly to also get a good seal over the top of the boot. What I ended up doing was buying some cheap neoprene diving socks from ebay (like below), cut the cuffs off them, and use them over the top of the cuffs of the boot like a mini gaiter. They work brilliantly. I’ll try to remember to take some pics once the weather justfies using them again.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

just buy seal skin socks, my foot went into a river when i was wearing them and i felt no wet or cold and carried on fine 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Marigold gloves and cut the fingers off them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

spatz.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cant personally understand why you would NOT wear waterproof trousers if its cold/wet enough to wear waterproof shoes?????? ok in the summer maybe a bit different if you know its hot and going to rain, but come winter, cant for the life of me understand the logic of shorts mixed with waterproof socks/shoes, the mind boggles! then people moan that they have wet feet and the shoes are not waterproof!

shimano mw80’s with some dhb wickham event waterproof trousers = equals warmy dry legs/feet! FACT!

ahwiles
    Free Member

not if you’re me.

all cycling trousers are too short for me. leaving an expanse of shin exposed.

front wheel goes through puddle, water splashes up, shin of trailing leg gets splashed, water runs down into sock, foot gets cold.

for the next 7 months this will happen at least 56,000 times per ride.

water proof socks just hold the cold water in.

ton

wot zulu said……….heavier duty marigolds.

simondbarnes

cant personally understand why you would NOT wear waterproof trousers if its cold/wet enough to wear waterproof shoes?????

Because they are flappy and horrible.

Waterproof tights are the answer. I have Endura Stealth Lite. They overlap the top of winter boots (or overshoes) so the water runs off the outside.

john_walker74
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting a pair of Endura Stealth tights, are they any good as I am hesitant about spending so much money if they are not any good!

J0N
    Free Member

Just cut some inner tube* and slide it over your leg and top of shoe.

*may cause excruciating pain as hair is pulled form your leg. larger inner tube preferable to stop numb feet. 🙂

BigJohn

like a kind of gaiter

You have correctly identified gaiters as being the ideal solution, yet you seem to have dismmissed them. Why?

MrNutt
    Free Member

lashing and lashings of birds custard

big_n_daft
    Free Member

use OMM Kamlieka trousers with added DIY foot stirups

not flappy, quite stretchy, more robust than you think

stuartie_c
    Free Member

R1013213 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Also available in pink.

avdave2

Also available in pink

And black if you buy the heavy duty version.

singletrackmatt
    marc
    Free Member

Don’t bother about water getting in; just make sure it can get out.

monkeyp

Sorry – been away from tinterweb for a bit.

Right – Didzy – I am not proposing that I wear waterprrof shoes and shorts – thats just wierd – waterproof shoes and tights are my choice of comfort when cold and wet. The legs are moving so don’t get cold when wet, but the feet do.

ahwiles – Spatz look good, but a bit too ‘gentleman cyclist’ for my liking.

BigJohn – Traditional gaiters go over the top of the trousers and as they are quite baggy, I am not sure if they would be comfortable under cycling tights.

Cutting a pair of diving socks looks about the best solution so far.

woffle
    Free Member

Don’t bother about water getting in; just make sure it can get out.

+1.

And I’ve yet to find any waterproof trousers or jacket that will breathe sufficiently to stop me getting horribly sweaty and yet keep water out. I’ve tried all the varieties of Goretex / eVent / a.n.other from cheap and cheerful to £££ and come to the conclusion that I’m better off wearing decent bibs under shorts with decent draining shoes + good socks.

monkeyp

big-n-daft – those OMM pants look good. What is the fit like? They look quite tight fitting which is good.

Do they have waist adjustment?

BigJohn

Wear them on the outside then.

monkeyp

BigJohn – that’s the point though – the water would then just wick down the tights, under the gaiter and into the shoe.

I think the only true solution is an all in one rubber gimp suit.

next post….

‘How do I stop my gimp suit squeaking’

gusamc
    Free Member

you can’t stop wicking down (without tourniquet level tightness), so
    a – shorts, motorbike inner tube, cut to length on legs, likely to be subject to feedback whilst out in daylight and criminal investigation at night
    b – tight fitting (with cuff)neoprene socks, will keep most water out and the water inside will stay warm, and can be topped up on the move using a well known surfing technique
    c – being style unconcious I wear thish – http://www.springfields.co.uk/bush-craft-field-kit/footwear-accessories/?id=2215, mine are a very long goretex sock that fit via velcro just below the knee, yes I get feedback but I’m a warm, dry ……

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘An idea to stop water getting into the top of winter cycling shoes?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM