Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Best way to mount a GoPro????
  • bongo136
    Free Member

Suggestions?

grumm
    Free Member

Chest mount looks best imo – not used it myself but been looking into getting one.

Nainosliw
    Free Member

from behind?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Best place is the chest mount, and use the 720 screen setting to get the best picture. 😀

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Chest mount is good, better to watch than helmetcam is it wobbles and moves less.

Northwind

Chest mount is the killer edge the Gopro has, basically. Their helmet mount's good too, but helmet footage tends to be floaty and disconnected, and flattens out and slows the trail very badly. Helmet's good for group rides though, the camera sees what you see. Always a reasonable option but not often a great one.

Chest gives a bit more of a feeling of riding, you get the roughness without the rattle if you know what I mean. The downside is that like in gavgas's video at the start, when your knees pop in and out of shot it looks weird- I mount mine high and aim it slightly higher to reduce that but it's not foolproof..

It's good to mix up mounts though to get a variety of footage, bar mount or frame mount works well too- the rollbar mount they sell can wrap around frame tubes easily (though it's bulky, so quite easy to bash a knee on)

Chest mount example, I think this shows it pretty well, obviously it's incredibly s**t riding but you get a nice feel for what's going on I reckon.

Whereas this Hissing Sid shows off the helmet camera at its worst- there's no impression of roughness or steepness at all, it just looks like hovering along on rails. But then, it shows how well it works for other stuff, the second part of the vid wouldn't have worked at all with a bike or chest mount and it gives a good idea of the surroundings etc.

The main thing about the chest mount that bothers me is that I really don't want to crash on it. It spreads the load well so it's not going to impale you but it's potentially a little anvil for the sternum…

Klunk
    Free Member

I bodged up this mount from one of the standard mounts

works really well if a little tilted, keeps the camera with the camelbak and is in a convenient position for turning on and off.

Northwind

That's pretty good, I like that.

Another bodge mount is to take the flat piece that the camera comes mounted on in the packaging, and use it as a bar mount- tape it over the stem so that it sits central. Works surprisingly well, though the new packaging can't be used in the same way as the older standard Gopro packaging.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

On the downtube giving a view of the trail and the fork working.
    The best vids are made with static camera positions though. You don't get an impression of speed from a moving camera or a panning shot, but ride past a well positioned static camera and you look like a pro rider flying down the trail.
    Set the camera low and with a good view of a section of trail, and do a few runs past it filming from both directions, then edit the footage to show approach and exit, and it looks STOOPID fast. couple it with chest cam footage, and you got yourself a good vid.

Northwind

Yup, but you can't really do static shots if you're riding with mates, unless they also want to make a video, and what onboard footage benefits most from is another rider. So it's a bit of a balance. I go riding and coincidentally make videos. I think if I kept stopping and setting up the tripod ChrisL would beat me to death with it.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

Tripod, WTF!? I use one helmet mounted,one chest mounted in a group, go ahead and set the helmet down trailside to catch my riding buddies thru a section. Then they push up, ride it again, and we catch the exit shot. Swap the camera to the next rider, send him off to the next feature, and repeat. You get the bonus of riding good sections several times.
    So you effectively get a full trail vid with certain features highlighted and looking really fast.
    Simples.

singlespeedstu
    lookoutkid
    Free Member

The chest mount is certainly comfy and easier to forget about than helmet mounted.

Personally, I struggle with the chest mount – maybe I just ride very 'flat backed' as I can't get the angle to show much beyond what's directly infront of me

akira

To get a better angle with the chest mount, put the mount in upside down and use the upside down image option.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I use the chest mount instead of the helmet, as mentioned above you get more impression of speed and the trail ahead rather than the 'floaty & detached' view of helmet mounted.

I also have started to mount it rear facing under the saddle, using the after market bar mount fixing on the seat post, so you get the rear wheel moving around on the bottom of the screen and your mates following you behind. Looks quite good but the screw fixings alone cannot be tightened enough to stop it dropping on big hits, so you need to zip tie / tape the camera housing to the bottom of the saddle to offer additional support.

Klunk
    Free Member

just tried the upside down option on my bodged shoulder strap "predator" mount, works a treat. good shout.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Best way to mount a GoPro????’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM