Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Chain devices for double ring?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Lost my chain loads today (either slipping down to granny or over that and off completely), currently just using double + bash. What options are there and will the BB mounted ones fit an ISIS bb ok? I was looking at the superstar one but the reviews suggest that it doesn’t come with a stepped roller which would add extra cost and really it should come with one! Blackspire Stinger?

jedi

i use a stinger on the bottlerocket

juiced
    Free Member

Have a look at the DMR dual ring roller ones.both of mine have been good.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10800

or blackspire stinger.

Northwind

Stinger is good… Simple and works. Also the massive backplate gives it plenty of scope for cutting it down if you have frame clearance issues

coolhandluke
    Free Member

+1 for the stinger. (Blackspire)?

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I’ve got a BYOB from E13 (bring your own bash).

Works really well and if you get the old style ISCG one it can be BB-mounted

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d use a single ring with a proper chain device.

SBrock
    Free Member

+1 for a Blackspire Stinger om my Butcher

t-p26
    Free Member

Chainreactor and a well adjusted front mech 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

He needs a dual ring, as he’d like to pedal uphill occasionally too 🙂

Mugboo

Stinger here

_tom_
    Free Member

So would I but the bike’s going Canada where I think they have a few hills and stuff 😛

Looks like the Stinger is worth a shot then, cheers! Hoping it won’t knock my chain line out enough to be a problem, as the BB doesn’t have any spacers it can replace at the minute..

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

stingers dont seem to work with raceface cranks, not sure what cranks you use (the granny ring bolts foul on the backplate, seems RF mount their rings further inboard than shimano).

edit now search function working-it wasnt just me struggling!

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-5-blackspire-stinger-fitting-problem

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/setting-up-blackspire-stinger-different-poster-different-problem

_tom_
    Free Member

Ohh.. and I use Race Face cranks 😆 May have to go for the uglier DMR then.

neilforrow

+1 for the stinger

rugbydick

_tom_ – Member

So would I but the bike’s going Canada where I think they have a few hills and stuff

Just do the uphills in reverse, then it will seem like you’re going downhill 😕

I’ve got a Gamut Dual, that works flawlessly, btw.
    It’s only sold with the bash guard though as far as I’m aware.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So would I but the bike’s going Canada where I think they have a few hills and stuff

“Stuff” meaning chair lifts?

If so, you’ll be fine!

ash.addy
    Free Member

Heim 2 has always worked for me

Northwind

Munqe-chick – Member

stingers dont seem to work with raceface cranks,

They work fine with some, mate of mine has my old Deus XCs with a Stinger frinstance

_tom_
    Free Member

“Stuff” meaning chair lifts?

Yeah but I’m also gonna explore the non-bikepark stuff as well. I dunno if I can be arsed pushing the bike up, or grinding away in 1×9.

I think my RF Cranks are either Evolve DH or Prodigy DH.

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate has a blackspire one with RF Atlas cranks and it works ok AFAIK

fbk
    Free Member

Just bought a Gamut p30 as they come recommended by a few guys I ride with. Used to run an E-13 DRS but wasn’t impressed – it kept the chain on but the rollers don’t last long at all & spares seem hard to come by. The stingers get some quite good reviews but I’ve heard mixed reports.

spanishfly
    Free Member

Stinger on my TransAM faultless

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

northwind, steve, you wouldnt happen to know which mounting they have (BB or ISCG)? My BB mounted definitely didnt work with my 73mm BB shell and RF (evolve XC) cranks, to stop the bolts fouling and to get the chain to line up I would have needed a spacer between the stinger and the BB cup (which apart from chain line issues would have meant the crank didnt bottom out on the axle splines which is a sure-fire way to kill an RF crank).

I have bought another stinger for an ISCG/shimano-cranked bike which I am hoping has no such problems!

Northwind

Definately BB mounted, it’s on a standard 456. I might have the crank name wrong now I think of it, Deus is the nice spec one isn’t it, this was one of the cheaper ones. buuuut, 456s are 68mm shell aren’t they? So that could be it.

_tom_
    Free Member

Just got an E13 Heim 2rs on ebay for £14 posted, bargain if it works ok!

kaesae
    Free Member

I run an e13 drs on my reign and a black spire stinger, stinget didn’t work on my GT Ruckus frame with a truvativ stylo crank, it fits perfect with the shimano saint I bought of ebay for £51 quid though.

Depending on what crank you run a stinger is a great chain device for the money.

_tom_
    Free Member

If anybody cares (probably not!) I got an E13 Heim 2RS and it just about fits with the Race Face Prodigy DH crankset – the granny bolts and chain are very close to the plate. Not sure how well it works yet but fitted fine and not too noisy so we’ll wait and see 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Chain devices for double ring?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM