Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Electric oven questions – Possible electrician advice needed
  • lunge

Morning all,

I have a reasonably old electric oven that seems to have developed a bit of a problem since I went to the trouble of cleaning it.

Basically, it switches on OK and warms up but when it gets towards the required temperature it trips out. The trip switch in the garage won’t reset until I turn the oven off at the wall. This is obviously somewhat annoying as it renders the oven useless.

So STW hive mind, is it broke, can I fix it and if so, how much is it likely to cost me?!

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

It sounds very much like the element is shorting out as it heats up, causing the short circuit that is tripping the MCB. It will reset when the oven is isolated because it cannot close the circuit. Similarly, when the oven is cold, it does not close the circuit because the metals have contracted and are not touching / arcing.

Remedy – replace the element(s) that are damage.

nickjb
    Free Member

I agree with jerry. It should be fixable, the tricky bit is working out how to get to the elements, either from the the inside or outside. You might be able to get the exact bit or take the element to your local spares shop (there are loads round here) and they’ll find a good match.

ciron
    Free Member

I fixed mine recently – I’m not an electrician.

Bought the element directly from the manufacturer for £25 or so. It took 30mins to install and works fine.

Stoner
    Free Member

just agree with all above. It will be a short created when the element is hot.

Easy to replace. Google part number/eBay/appliance spares sites.

lunge

Once again the Hive Mind works, is there nothing STW doesn’t know? I will get on google when I get home. Thanks all.

Out of interest, how easy/difficult is it to change a heating element?

Stoner
    Free Member

my last one was a couple of screws holding the element to the back wall of the oven box. Easy to access through the front of the oven. Pull the element away and disconnect the two wires.

Other models you MAY need to pull the oven out to disconnect the element from the rear but try front entry first.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

It might sound stupid, but make sure the oven is correctly isolated from the electrical supply before sticking your pinkies in there!

Gilesey
    Free Member

I did this last week for 1st time. Very easy!

Can recommend The Element Man for next-day delivery of replacement elements.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Electric oven questions – Possible electrician advice needed’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM