Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 190 total)
  • How to attack this?
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Down slope, grass – 2m descent at ~20-30 degrees from horizontal (with a 10m flatish leadup), terminated by a coping stone with a slight dip before it (3-4 inches, about wheel sized), then followed by a 4ft vertical drop to concrete.

I've been considering hitting it at full belt and pre-jumping the coping stone but that feels kinda rushed and like I'm going to land nose first if I cock it up and clip the back wheel, or even if I miss it as I'll struggle to lift the 30 degrees out of the slope.

Thoughts?

yunki
    Free Member

bouncy castle needed at termination of maneouvre

Edric64
    Free Member

dont bother

JF69
    Free Member

With a sledgehammer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

yunki is making the most sense so far 🙂 if it had a flat launch site or no coping stone I'd be happy enough, but the stone gets me psychologically. It's the first obstacle out of my door on my local ride and I'm sick of pootling past it on the concrete path!

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Manual off the top.

rs
    Free Member

whats the worst that could happen?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd considered manualling off the top but I think the rear would hook up on the dip before the stone, leaving me pivoting nicely about that point. Maybe you're right though, with enough momentum.

rs – wouldn't like to do this to myself!

RealMan
    Free Member

Pictures?

mtb_rob
    Free Member

jimmyshand – Member
    Manual off the top.

What that man said. Manual through the dip before the coping and then suck up the drop, race stylee. Making it a little smaller and hopefully stoping the bike bucking you over the front. Hitting things with pace too seems to mean they don't take so long to get through and go smoother than you thought, look bigger/further ahead.

coffeeking
    Free Member

No current picture, but this is a side profile, approx to scale, wall 4ft high for ref….

RealMan
    Free Member

Looks like you'd have to jump it. Pretty dodgy though.

woody2000

If it was me I'd be looking for something to fill that little dip in! 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup, dodgy. If I unexpectedly came accross the situation above ^^^ at speed I'd prolly try and bunnyhop the lip from a good way back. If I knew it was there, I'd go a different way TBH…

angryratio
    Free Member

man the f up.. i.e. just go to the pub with teeth in tact.

jedi

Push through it

iain1775
    Free Member

like this? –

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Am I the only person who looked at that and thought it'd be much easier if it was left to right?

I am? I'll get my coat then….

rs
    Free Member

😆 at iain1775

user-removed
    Free Member

Several lols @ Iain…. It's funny because it's true 🙂

Grimy
    Free Member

😆 nice one Ian.

As woody posted though….If its a regular route and its doing your head in, take a trenching spade and fill the dip in! 8)

jedi

there's a path gap at toad rock, tunbridge thats like that

rs
    Free Member

😆 at path gap, doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

jedi

its a gap over a path. it is what it is 🙂

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Looks like fun

ex-pat
    Free Member

Can you go diagonal through it, so that you're not hitting the (and subsequently your) lip of the coping stone straight on?
    That would potentially give you a break before you launch off the four foot drop (to concrete I might add).
    Personally, path sounds better to me, but then I don't have hero status as a rider. 😆

A 'risky' manoeuvre at the start of every ride – no thanks!

brownix
    Free Member

just bunny hope before the little dip, and if you are going fast enough you will clear it with ease 🙂

nuke

😆 at iain1775

nbt

Just to highlight iain1775's contribution, here's an animated version

from this thread

🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input – when you say push through it jedi, in what sense? I suspect I do need to MTFU a bit and try it (there's a smaller one nearby that's a bit of cake, but it has no coping stone). I'd considered the hit it diagonal thing but when leaving the ground I really don't like starting off on diagonals – I've holes stitched up in my shin to prove that, and a bad relationship with one local pub after they refused to let me call an ambulance while I was spraying blood 3 or 4 foot across the path 🙂

ian – yep, thats definitely the ending I have currently in mind!

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you not start your bunnyhop on the downslope and adjust your attitude in-flight so you land level?

I've done this on stuff, but not on that scale 🙂 Just bunnyhop but pull up on the bars just the right amount.

Alternatively, do it trials stylee. Roll down the slope, wheelie into backhops, hop onto coping stone then gracefully ease onto the ground.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its the angle of the downslope that gets me really, if it were flat I'd not even be thinking about it, but the fairly steep angle means that hopping it leaves a good few degrees to rotate mid-air and trialsing onto it (which I don't like doing on an NRS at 16 stone!) is a bit of a one-off attempt, cock it up and I'll be broken.

I'll keep working towards it, if I nail it I'll video it to show how I finally pull it off lol.

Coyote
    Free Member

Nice one Iain1775!!!

njee20
    Free Member

😆 at iain1775

+1

molgrips
    Free Member

We want to see the video of your FIRST attempt. We don't care if you make it or not 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

well done boys just pi##ed myself laughing at the two later diagrams 😆

retro83
    Free Member

😆 at iain

coffeeking
    Free Member

We want to see the video of your FIRST attempt. We don't care if you make it or not

Fair point. I could probably do with a cameraman for the ambulance call!

molgrips
    Free Member

Alternative without backhops would be to roll gently down the slope, turning into the dip then hop the back round so you're parallel to the wall (assuming it's a wall).. then hop on to it then bunnyhop sideways off it. Prob easiest 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

gently down the slope, turning into the dip then hop the back round so you're parallel to the wall (assuming it's a wall).. then hop on to it then bunnyhop sideways off it.

Same occurred to me. Of course, I don't have the skill to do this, but Ilike the idea. And quite elegant, too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 190 total)

The topic ‘How to attack this?’ is closed to new replies.