Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Pentlands – memorable climbs
  • fergal
    Free Member

Was up that way so went for a blast, sheep track back of Black hill fail, like marbles( a worn rear not helping much), Harbour hill steep grass, relentless but short, Puke hill nearly, headed into the gully with the rocks, should have taken the sneaky line to the right.

Anyone for anymore for the next time i’m up there, really suprised at how dry it was the trails seem to drain well, i got the impression from on here it was a peaty mudfest most of the time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

From the top of puke hill turn left and at teh next fork take a right. As you reach the climb onto the shoulder of capelaw hill there is a choice – zig zag around to the left or straight up the grassy climb straight ahead. The grassy climb is a real epic.

One chap of here (Rob Garrioch??) claims to have climbed it. Mrs TJ and I blew the tandem hub trying to get up it (too much power in two sets of chris hoy like thighs) – on a solo I have made it about 1/3 of the way

13thfloormonk

One which I know would go, but I’ve not managed yet, is Allermuir via the Red Road from Dreghorn, then the steep grassy pitch from the cattlegrid to the summit. Its basically two seperate climbs and would be down to luck as much as anything. I’ve managed the Allermuir bit (once) but not the Red Road bit, too loose on the steepest pitch and I always lost the wheel.

From the foot of Puke hill you can turn left, over a wee bridge and up a couple of steps and turn left again. From there starts a relentless, steep and grassy climb all the way up the side of White hill to the stile at the top. Took me a good few attempts to clean it and I doubt I could do it again if I went back now.

The wee rooty travelator on the way up Harbour Hill from the Torduff traverse is a good wee challenge, but shouldn’t take the keen many attempts to get right.

There’s a heinous traverse that takes you all the way to the top of Black Hill, but it was sheep track in places and would take a long hot summer to make it worth attempting, any damp at all and it would be a slippy mess.

13thfloormonk

TJ, I’ve climbed that one, but when Rob and I last tried it he outclimbed me by a good stretch, think it was pure fluke (and a freeride tyre) that got me up it the first time.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a good tester that one 13th. I am getting fitter slowly for climbing and one day I want to get up that

Just going up the red road from dreghorn tests me. Ias you get near the top it gets steeper and looser just as you are running out of puff

13thfloormonk

Actually, up the back of Capelaw, from Phantom’s, is a good tester too, starts as nice rolling singletrack but then you turn into the hill and its just a nauseating graunch up to the top. Probably the windiest hill in the Pentlands too.

There’s loads of stinkers in and around the Five Peaks, but thats the haunt of the Uni uber-climbers, I had a stab at the West Kip climb, which I used to think would go, but I walked it recently and changed my mind sharpish!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Has anyone done Allermuir?

I know a guy did it back in teh day, Simon Drew, aka “flashing blade”, on a 24-28 no less.

*worships*

nce I get my FS fat bike going it’s getting a 20-34 and those climbs are getting more pwned than Fred on a women’s rights thread.

fergal
    Free Member

Clocked the Allermuir climb, it looked heinous to my untrained eye!

Is the Traverse of the five peaks a worthwhile outing, where is best to start to make a loop without any A road.

13thfloormonk

Al, I can regularly get to the rocky bit near the top (if you’re following the fence line from the cattle grid). Usually I topple off sideways or run out of legs at that point, only once did I manage to bully my way over the lip, with the help of a 2.4″ Black Chilli Rubber Queen…

RobGarrioch was picking away at the other line, the one leading from the ‘crossroads’ between allermuir/capelaw/red road. Think he’d have mentioned if he’d cleaned it, not sure how far he got.

Five Peaks is a good outing, but contentious. You’re guaranteed to piss walkers off if you do it at busy times, and I think the Pentlands Rangers would rather people stayed off too (cue the usual argument about access rights). You should definitely do it at least once though.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have tried West Kip and failed, would love to see someone make it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

fergal I’m not sure that’s possible, you end/start in Flotterstone, I suppose you could go up the green cleuch and left to the shoulder of the last/first peak

cynic-al
    Free Member

13FM – yep that’s the key, or it would be if I had the lactic ability to get anywhere near it.

Alfine on 20:20 should do it 😎

fergal
    Free Member

13th looks like the righthand line would be the one, i climbed the first section to where it levels off a bit, but i wasn’t trying the whole thing, just lost.

13thfloormonk

I love these sort of threads, lets me talk like a rock climber without actually having to go and dangle off any rocks.

So… anyone else struggle with the ‘crux’ on the ‘direct’ route (VS) up Allermuir?

robgarrioch

headed into the gully with the rocks

You mean after Bonaly reservoir at the top of Puke, then left through the gate & up north Capelaw? The grassy track to the right just before the rocks FTW 🙂
    Up to Hare Hill from Green Cleugh’s a good taster (providing it’s reasonably dry over HHill)

as is Capelaws east end, opp. the Allermuir climb… (recent clean, with some creative zig-zagging)

Recently been managing the short burst from Torduff road to the bottom of Castlelaw, which is kinda like Black Hill in that legs-spinning-like-tasmaninan-devil-for-momentum way.
    Allermuir though… doubt I’ll ever get it from the Capelaw side, though last time got the furthest so far. Must try it from the Castlelaw side sometime. Must have a ‘climbing-rideout’ sometime (with no actual planned cleans, automatic fail!)

13thfloormonk

Recently been managing the short burst from Torduff road to the bottom of Castlelaw, which is kinda like Black Hill in that legs-spinning-like-tasmaninan-devil-for-momentum way.

Which one’s that? Isn’t Torduff Road the one leading from the Bonaley car park to Clubbiedean?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Also first ref is Black Hill no?

There’s one going south from Green Cluegh too, to a trail that goes over the moor to the mid point of the trail between exponential Hill adn the shoulder of the last of the kips. I don’t think it’s climb-
    able.

A ride-out sounds tops, £5 each in the kitty and he who cleans the most wins?

robgarrioch

Torduff Glencorse road to the bottom of Castlelaw

Got a bit carried away there… 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

You men the one by the field or through the gorse bushes?

First steeper but shorter, second OK IME IIRC?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Al, Simon Drew is a good pal of mine, he doesn’t ride much these days and has a garage professionally restoring minis at Cockenzie. Whats the story behind the name Flashing Blade?

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Fergal – a traverse from West Kip to the Flot is worth while but only if it is bone dry, its not lambing season and its done early in the morning or late in the evening to avoid as many walkers as possible. Unfortunately this makes it very difficult! Also don’t expect to stay on the bike on the ups, they are seriously steep in places. Al suggested loop is probably the best way to do it.

Back OT how about: The track starting behind Logan House to the top of Black Hill proper?

Deeper into the Pentlands Spittal Farm over to North Esk Res., and then North Esk Res to the top of Mount Maw.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heh PG I still see Simon, he sorts my cars out for me.

He had an alu Trek in the early 90s that he stripped and polished, it was a mirror finish so we called him flashing blade. I can still remember it somersaulting in the air as he went over the bars, breaking his wrist, by Hillend, around 1991. He’s got a nice 1992 Dean now IIRC.

BikePawl
    Free Member

Not wanting to rain on anybodies parade or say what is right or wrong. From the Pentland Hills Regional Park Website Cycling in the Pentlands

The paths over the hilltops are not recommended for cycling because they are very
    vulnerable to erosion and the vegetation takes a long time to re-establish.

balfa
    Free Member

Back OT how about: The track starting behind Logan House to the top of Black Hill proper?

Thats pretty easy. The track is very substantial after the trees. I normally ride through the field before the house so not to go through the property. Only worth doing if its very dry as the descent is on peat.

– The last section of track that goes up to the top of Castlelaw Hill is impossibly steep loose stuff and would be impressed if someone cleaned it.

– The start of the kip’s bypass track from green cleugh.

– End of loganlea South east to the col

– Some of the undulations from Alliemuir along to Caerketon are short and vicous but I think they’d all go with perseverance

FraserHughes
    Free Member

BikePawl – well pointed out. Many of the above should only be riden when bone dry and I mean bone dry and even then only with a responsible attitude etc.

In very dry conditions I think there is little difference between responsible cycling and walking.

Good dedate here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/edinburgh-wednesday-night-ride-3

FraserHughes
    Free Member

Thats pretty easy. The track is very substantial after the trees. I normally ride through the field before the house so not to go through the property. Only worth doing if its very dry as the descent is on peat.

😳 I’ve never cleaned it. Back wheel always spins out on the gravel, though in my defence that is on a SS 32:16

You may have already found it but there is a vague/overgrown path to the start of the track, which also avoids the House, starting in Den’s Cleugh/White Cleugh

fergal
    Free Member

@robgarrioch i’m confused now, where is Puke hill, i think the gully with the rocks is camoflauge hill( if that makes any sense).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

pUKE HILL ( TO ME) IS THE CLIMB FROM BONALLY TOWER / SCOUT CAMP UP TO BONNAY RESOVOIR?

sorry caps lock

Kunstler

I’ve been wondering about doing this for a while though I was considering starting from White Cleugh. From google earth it looks like there might an interesting track down to Loganlea.

There is a track that runs from the back of the sheep pens just before you enter Green Cleugh and climbs up the north side of Scald Law before bearing right to ‘cross sward’ (the col between Scald Law and East Kip). I’ve only done this as a descent.

I can’t imagine how you could bike over the Kips. I’ve pushed/carried a bike over there recently. Likewise, I had a push over the Kirk Road – now that would be quite a challenge.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about doing this for a while though I was considering starting from White Cleugh. From google earth it looks like there might an interesting track down to Loganlea.

I think that is the start I mentioned.

The “normal” descent goes NE from the summit of Black Hill. Great when dry, avoid when wet.

I can’t remember seing anything come down straight to Logan Lea (might have missed it though), I think what looks like a track on Google Earth may actually be a steep gully. Only one way to find out though!!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

or run out of legs at that point

I find that hard to believe *worships*…or is that what happens when you ride off in front?! 😆

[hijack] can i pick up shifters this week if you are around?

robgarrioch

You mean the one by the field or through the gorse bushes?

Al – referring to the side of the trees a couple of hundred yards after Maidens bottom gate

where is Puke hill, i think the gully with the rocks is camoflauge hill

Apologies Fergal, all the names can get confusing – I’ve not heard of Camouflage hill before either! As TJ says, Puke runs from the scout camp to Bonaly reservoir. The only rocky gully near there I know is on

(…consults map…)

the north side of Capelaw. A little behind young Jim here, in fact –

13thfloormonk

There’s another climb to the top of black hill from loganlea, very thin, very tech and some very interesting exposure at one point, definitely a summer only option though, joins the landy track midway up.

DGOAB, I’m on a skive this week so will only be in town tomorrow, but can get the shifters to you tomorrow evening?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah OK Rob there’s another further down. Worth trying if you are man enough 😉

The track starting behind Logan House to the top of Black Hill proper?

Naw frikkin idea where this is

Garry_Lager

Think the Howden Burn climb from Dreghorn is the best one for non-awesome riders to aim at. Very very hard but probably doable with enough practice / luck and a dry spell.
    Put a good dent into it last year v early on, about half way up the difficult part. Thought I’d easily do better later in the year but haven’t come close since.

Something like Allemuir (top part) is way too difficult for most riders to get involved with IME. Type of pitch you take a few pedal strokes on and just can’t be arsed with even attempting. Hat is off to anyone who sorts this one out. Is Castlelaw to the top doable? I doubt it, just looking at it from the main track it seems way too steep in the middle. There’s always one, though.

If you are at that sort of level, another beast is up to Scald Law from the patch of trees below East Kip. Double track all the way up just on the north side of the ridge. No impossible gradients either, but unrelenting.

Garry_Lager

Where is Mount Maw Fraser?

North Esk upto the Borestane is a lovely climb – not too steep but very varied – think you have to take a few dabs with the gullies higher up.

Round Castlelaw northwards is hard as well, impossibly so if it’s wet IME. Dry day and you can persevere with it.

bajsyckel

Good thread. I had to look at an OS as I don’t know the names for many of these and it’s been a while. I reckon everything mentioned is doable (IME) on 1×9, Alfine or CX compact gearing, except:
    Black hill (the lower variant – up by the dyke – this should go with a granny).
    White hill – some of the variants I’ve done, there are plenty I can’t.
    West Kip – no. Not from any direction ( it can be done though – not by me).
    And a couple of mentions that I don’t recognise by their description or if I do, I never tried. I don’t think I’d do those three even with lower gearing.

There are a few other good ones not mentioned from the South, which are grassy, long and steep, and then a few closer to the WOL that are very short, steep, steppy or rooty and muddy – good nadgery ones. I’ve no idea if they have names, but people must ride them too. Like almost all of the ones listed, surface conditions are the main factor in whether they’ll go or not – one day they’re relatively straightforward, the next they’re not.

And then there are the virtually impossible ones that go pretty much straight up Caerketton from the N or NE, Green Crag, Capelaw direct (from N). There must be some other good rideable ones though that haven’t been mentioned??

[edit] Garry Lager – that one on Scald Law is one of the best in the area. Nowhere near as hard as Allermuir though IME – that’s my rideable limit I reckon, and only then with some luck.

13thfloormonk

Black hill (the lower variant – up by the dyke – this should go with a granny).

And yet you consider Allermuir your limit?? If I know the one you’re thinking of, its the ‘direct’ climb from Green Cleugh, closer to Threipmuir/Harlaw. I wouldn’t touch it with a 20 tooth…

bajsyckel

^ hmm. My memory might not be what it used to be. I’ve never given it a go except on a 32 ring which was nowhere near.

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah think you are right rob, good effort on Allermuir **** you must have been blowing out of your arse on that one, king of the mountains jersey on it’s way to you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands – memorable climbs’ is closed to new replies.