Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Race Face Bottom Bracket Can I change or lube the Bearings
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Got the crank off and now come to a stand still….looked around on line and got no joy

Is it just a case of taking the cups off and then i will find where the bearings live ?

Just dont want to make a school boy error

Cheers

Andy

Andy-W
    Free Member

sorry its a X Type with evolve xc crank set

Andy-W
    Free Member

anyone ?

oldfart

Think you need a "special " tool .Give Silverfish a call see what they say .

me1onhead
    Free Member

Those Race Face BB bearings are made out of soft cheese. Do yourself a favour and replace 'em with something/anything else.

yatesy

you can replace the bearings check the betd web site.you can bye the bearings and tools to fit them your self or send them to betd for a bearing change.there an opotion you can have a think on

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, Keep thinking about getting a hope one fitted,, but would expect a modern bottom bracket to last longer than six months..

iainc

Andy – six months is quite long for one of those evolve bb's – mine lasted half that and I replaced with Shimano xt.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Mine did 6 weeks, get a hope one, been running one for a year and a half, still totally smooth, no play at all, one regrease.

Andy-W
    Free Member

How can they get away with only lasting that long ? My old hardtail has got a xt BB on and thats been on for 12/14 years and when i dragged it out the shed after not being used for a few years it still runs great and thats on the same rides i do in the peaks on my new bike

just seem odd that people just except stuff like this

oldfart

Andy W totally agree .My R/F lasted 4 months .Complained to Silverfish they agreed but as i bought it off here with no receipt they wouldn't help.Even though it was brand new .E Mailed R/F they told S/F to offer me the new improved "team " version at a special price .Which with VAT and P & P was £1.50 cheaper than CRC !!!!
    Gone for Hope now and like you think that when the bearings were in shell they lasted longer .

BlingBling
    Free Member

I found this page but after reading it decided to buy an XTR BB an save the hastle.

If it's easy let me know and I'll try it and keep a spare 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

search forums for similar threads, you can buy bearings for £4.50 a pair off ebay, and the threads included links on "how to". As long as your careful knocking out the plastic top hat seals youll be fine.

edit; done it for you. Read linked threads

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/race-face-x-type-bb

Andy-W
    Free Member

Thanks again chaps !!

Will give that stuff a read,

Just had a go at getting the cups off to try at get some lube on the bearings but failed they are well tight

I would not be as miffed if the bike cost me £300 but it was closer to £3000 and like a fool when specking it up I did not tick the Hope BB box… and I only got the bike in late April this year

DezB
    Free Member

When I dumped my Deus one, I tried to prise the cap off to get to the bearings and it just disintegrated. You'll have to be really careful and then I don't know how you'd get the cover back on.
    Just replace the BB I reckon

Andy-W
    Free Member

Its just a bit tight at the moment and there is no chance for my LBS to get a new BB fitted before my weekend ride,

If I could get my raceface cups off my frame is a Hope BB easy to fit….just looks like a case of screwing the cups into the frame from what i have seen on the net

Stainless or ceramic is it worth the extra to splash it all winter in the peaks ??

coopersport1
    Free Member

Get a Hope Stainless one, if it ever wears out treat yourself to the easily replaceable ceramic ones! My X type lasted 450miles. They are very simple to fit, just screw in using same amount of spacers you took off

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I'm shocked at the quality of RF BB. I've had 3 in the last 2 and a half years. The first that came with the bike lasted 6 months, the warranty replacement (which you might want to consider to offset any cost of a different new BB) lasted 6 weeks, the third 2 months.

Replaced with Hope Ceramic BB. Fit and Forget. Simple.

shoefiti
    Free Member

don't you mean 'simples'?

coatesy
    Free Member

Could I recommend that when you change it, you get the BB shell faced back to RaceFace's min. width. These set-ups aren't adjustable like Shimano and if the shell is a fraction oversize your bearings will be pre-loaded and die in short order(used to be a regular occurence on bikes we were selling, now anything feeling a little tight gets faced back and the premature wear problem has just about dried up).

Andy-W
    Free Member

Sorted !!

A quick phone call to the LBS this morning and it was ready to pick up just after lunch with a nice new Hope BB fitted.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Race Face Bottom Bracket Can I change or lube the Bearings’ is closed to new replies.