Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Skiddaw / Ullock Pike last weekend
  • el_boufador

Got some good ones so thought I would share:

It were reet good

user-removed
    Free Member

You did indeed get some good ones! Number six with the diagonal path lit my candle.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one, looks great. Ullock Pike is definitely on my list to do soon.

Burls72
    Free Member

+1 for picture number 6, just like a magazine photo.

grumm
    Free Member

This deserves more response imo – have a free bump 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

there's a real feeling of high-up-ness in there. 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

nice

duir
    Free Member

Mountain Bikers.

rascal
    Free Member

Congrats!

These are the first set of pics I've seen that make me actually want to go up Skiddaw 😆
    I'm up near The Lakes next weekend and was considering Cross Fell but can't seem to get much ride info on it so looking for a Plan B. Walked up plenty of Lakes peaks but never really fancied it on foot – lacking something but looks loads better on 2 wheels! Which way did you go up? Looks like you came down Ullock Pike. Really fancy it, especially after tucking away a few of those cheapo Leffe's at Asda 😉

boxelder

Ullock Pike is quite a busy footpath. There's potential for very pi$$ed off walkers, so please choose carefully when you ride it.

lowey

Avoid at weekends I reckon. Top pics though.

IamSam
    Free Member

Boxelder care was indeed taken when we rode it last Friday afternoon, tea time. We had a really nice chat with a guy at the summit who offered to swap his boots for my bike. On the way down Ullock we didn't see any walkers until right at the bottom near where the paragliders take off form.
    Was an amazing ride bottled out on the cliff bit on the scree slope and there is one bit on Ullock that didn't seem to be ride able but that could just be my lack of skill.

Great photos though Neil didn't see these last week on here.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

All of Ullock Pike is rideable, that bit you're thinking of has a couple of lines, Peachos has done it righting straight and hoping his Bombers would keep him out of trouble, I've done it keeping the speed off coming in to it so you can make a sharp left and cut across it diagonally, my way was harder because the setup line was much harder to hit. Peachos' way looks harder to the casual observer, ie Peachos.

peachos
    Free Member

it's an ace ride isn't it! we did it a couple of months back and it was a glorious, busy Friday afternoon. not one complaint from a walker so i reckon you're fine. what did you do after bottoming out at the end of Ullock?

ps. it's ALL ridable 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

paulrockliffe – Member
    All of Ullock Pike is rideable, that bit you're thinking of has a couple of lines, Peachos has done it righting straight and hoping his Bombers would keep him out of trouble, I've done it keeping the speed off coming in to it so you can make a sharp left and cut across it diagonally, my way was harder because the setup line was much harder to hit. Peachos' way looks harder to the casual observer, ie Peachos.

LOL. how many attempts did you have at it? i went straight for the vert first time and nailed it straight up.

grumm
    Free Member

hehe – any pics of this bit you are talking about? 🙂

peachos
    Free Member
    peachos
    Free Member

think the last 4 of the series i posted Grum

grumm
    Free Member

Cheers peachos – can't wait to have a pop at this. That bit doesn't look too bad but it's always hard to tell from pics/video how steep it actually is.

peachos
    Free Member

yeah it's pretty steep!

IamSam
    Free Member

peachos we took the left down to the side of the lake then back through the woods under dodd to keswick. Yeap this looks like the bit of a cliff which defeated us all, there looked to be a line that cut across left before the land slide though.
    pretty sure its just after this photo
    was taken

grumm
    Free Member

Is it rollable or is there an actual vert bit you have to drop off?

IamSam
    Free Member

From memory Grum, there is one section thats a more sandy coloured rock that drops about six or seven metres pretty much vertically. It looked like a pretty recent slide to my untrained eye. Really really good ride though well worth the climb up Skidaw

peachos
    Free Member

yeah that looks about right sam,

this:

rolls over into this which has a couple of different line choices to set you up:

for this, which is very steep. you can go left (easy – the way paulrockliffe went), right (tough to get the turn in but can be done) or straight over that big nobble (which is almost vert):

this is the run out:

peachos
    Free Member

all rollable techy fun. probably the best bit of UK riding i have done.

grumm
    Free Member

Looks ace, nice one 🙂

So which is the best way to go at the bottom where it splits (just looking at the map) I wonder?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Left is best – a fast run down with lots of drainage gulleys, then into the trees and off road to the sawmill. If you carry on straight, there are some fun drop offs but you're liable to run into farmer trouble.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah yeah, that's me trying to ride it as slowly as possible so I could manage the 90 left at the cliff. The run off was dead easy, but being able to make the turn isn't as you have to plan your move three corners up and all the corners were tricky to hit. Peachos' route was really just aim at the drop and hope the forks rescue you , you'll want Bombers here.

We went back round Skiddaw House, the intention was to get onto Blencathra but 1) I **** up the route and 2) the going is a total pain in the arse, so we would have been there till very late!

If I was to do it again, my route home would be, back up the way you've come, then off Carlside (?) Looks like some similar sort of techy adventures to be had. Need to go back really.

davidwazz
    Free Member

This riding looks amazing – I am in the Lakes next week. Does anyone have gpx files/tracks for a couple of routes in the area? Any help would be appreciated.

t-p26
    Free Member

"last weekend" you mean Sunday… I did tour of Lonscale about midday on Sat`day and Skiddaw was shrouded in mist….

peachos
    Free Member

davidwazz…i can knock you up a quick gpx of the route we took, what's your email address?

peachos
    Free Member

rockliffe…you keep kidding yourself that the stright through line was the easiest!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It was, just point and shoot, weight back and hope it doesn't end in tears!

peachos
    Free Member

ok. if i hadn't done that line you would be insisting it is unridable and wouldn't even entertain the prospect.

i think we need to go back and pay a visit. I'll do your 'ooh look there's some corners' line you can do my 'big scary straight through the mess of boulders and finishing with an almost vert roll off the end'. we'll see who survives to post our exploits on here.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

Carlside descent is amezin! Did it last year with a mate, ass over the back with it locked up, cleared it all giggling like a fool all the way down! Loved it, cat bells ridge is fun too!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ok, but given that I went over the bars doing sometihng similar on Stoodley Pike, which isn't even steep, I can't help thinking it will end badly for me. I'll need Bombers.

I'm taking Thursday/Friday off the week after next to go riding in the Lakes if you fancy it Peachos?

Cat Bells ridge is good, not done it in years, there was a bit on there I couldn't ride, would be good to go back to use it as a measure of progression, I suspect I can ride it now. Just got to watch out for walkers. It's not as good as the short blast down the front of Barrow though.

Sanny
    Free Member

Top thread guys. I absolutely love Ullock Pike. It is a true classic!

I'm psyched about a trip to the Cairngorms this weekend where I reckon I may have a trail that is possibly even better! Rode the top section of it last week and was just stunned at the combination of big moyntain scenery and flowy descent.

Great to see folk putting the mountain in mountain biking………… 😀

Sanny
    Free Member

Top thread guys. I absolutely love Ullock Pike. It is a true classic!

I'm psyched about a trip to the Cairngorms this weekend where I reckon I may have a trail that is possibly even better! Rode the top section of it last week and was just stunned at the combination of big moyntain scenery and flowy descent.

Great to see folk putting the mountain in mountain biking………… 😀

Out of interest, did you do the Allerdale Ramble then climb up between Skiddaw and Dodds (?) for the steep descent of the southern flank of Skiddaw. It's the one that you can do from the top section of the Ullock Pike descent by heading straight down instead of riding the ridge.

Cheers

Sanny

stoney
    Free Member

It`s my fav local ride 😆

muddy@rseguy

Its my fave non local ride 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Skiddaw / Ullock Pike last weekend’ is closed to new replies.