Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Transition Bandit – early ride report
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

I know a few on here are keen for some feedback from Transition Bandit owners. Well, it’s still early days, so I can’t comment on reliability of the frame or the components, but here are my initial thoughts:

First thing that struck me is how immediately at home I felt on the bike. I was expecting the slightly steeper than average seat tube angle and slacker than I’m used to head angle to take a bit of time to get comfortable with, but it felt spot on right from the get go. I’m 6’5, riding an XL frame with a 70mm stem and 720mm bars. It’s a slightly more upright riding position than I’m used to (I normally ride an XC hardtail with a much lower and stretched out cockpit), but felt very natural and gave me a nice, balanced stance on the bike.

Out on the trail, that neutral feeling was continued with the suspension. Again, I was expecting to have to spend some time tweaking the fork and shock settings to get it right, but having started off with the recommended 25% sag it was immediately on the money. The frame came with a 2012 Factory Series RP23 (non-Kashima). I haven’t managed to try it on anything too extreme yet, but so far the suspension has been really composed. Just seems to handle whatever I throw at it with minimal fuss.

The bike climbs fantastically well. I definitely noticed the extra heft, but that was mainly because I’ve gone from a lightweight XC wheelset with Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph tyes to Flows with a Minion/Larsen combo. The bike itself is actually less than 29lbs. I’m not going to try and claim that there wasn’t any pedal bob at all – I’ve never ridden a FS where that is truly the case, despite what the marketeers say – but it really was very minimal, even when cranking out of the saddle. So much so, in fact, that pro pedal seems pretty redundant. I decided to go with a travel adjust fork (a 150mm Revelation World Cup dual position air), but having experimented on climbs with the fork in both the 120mm and 150mm positions, I’m not sure it’s necessary. It has a 67.5deg head angle with a 150mm fork, but the front end didn’t wander at all, apart from on one extremely steep section. Rear traction was excellent.

On the downs, the bike is a revelation (to me). I was hitting sections faster than I ever have before, which perhaps isn’t surprising given the bike I’ve moved from, but it really inspires confidence. Very responsive and holds its line well through the rough stuff. Again, very neutral and composed.

A few other firsts for me with this bike, mainly with the drivetrain. I’m running a 2×10 SRAM setup, mainly X7 but with X0 shifters and an X9 rear mech. 39/26, 11-36. Previously I was on 3×9 Shimano SLX with an XT rear mech. First, the 2×10. It’s great. I spent 90% of the ride in the big ring, but did need to drop down on one climb. I definitely wouldn’t get away with 1×10. I did find myself between gears a few times due to the wider spread of the cassette, but overall I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it over a 3×9 setup. As for SRAM v Shimano, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with my first taste of SRAM so far. It certainly doesn’t look or feel as good as Shimano for your money, but the shifting was faultless. I actually prefer the more substantial shift feel of SRAM, and there is something nice about having a metal, rather than plastic, shift lever. Rear shifting was super fast – I didn’t think I’d ever notice any improvement over my SLX setup, which has been faultless, but it was noticeably quicker. Front shifting was okay, rather than sensational, but I’ve never found shifting rings to be anything other than a bit clunky anyway.

It was also the first time I’d specced a bike from scratch. It’s so nice being on a bike where you literally wouldn’t change a thing. Everything just feels right.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier. Definitely the best bike I’ve ever ridden. Even the Avid brakes are working (so far)! 😉

Sorry for rambling, but happy to answer any specific questions if people have them.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Oh, and here’s the full spec:

FRAME: Bandit XL with 2012 RP23
    FORK: Rockshox Revelation World Cup Dual Position Air QR15
    WHEELS: Hope ProII Evo / Stans Flow
    BRAKES: Avid Elixir CR (203/160mm rotors)
    HEADSET: Gravity DX Pro
    STEM: Thomson Elite 70mm
    BARS: Race Face SixC
    DRIVETRAIN: X7, with X0 shifters and X9 rear mech
    SADDLE: SDG Bel Air RL Ti
    PEDALS: Exotic Mag Ti
    TYRES: Maxxis Minion DHF / Larsen TT (both 2.35″, single-ply, 60A, tubed)
    SEAT CLAMP: Chromag
    REAR QR: Chromag
    GRIPS: ODI Rogue Lock-On

juiced
    Free Member

well done. pics??

ashfanman
    Free Member

I posted a pic in an earlier thread while I was waiting for the cassette to arrive.

Haven’t taken any pics since, but it basically looks like that, only now with a cassette, chain and some mud.

wors

brilliant thanks for that, i really want one. Just 1300 left to save 🙁

ashfanman
    Free Member

pics??

Took this today.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Transition Bandit – early ride report’ is closed to new replies.